Removing Extra Infant Dentata From Various Areas Of Your Child's Body: Who Do You See?

A very rare condition causes some babies to be born with a few teeth, or teeth in the weirdest places of their bodies. These extra teeth are often the result of a genetic predisposition or extra cells that migrated while the fetus was in utero. While the condition is not life-threatening, it can make parents uncomfortable when they present their baby to friends and family and have to explain why a growth with a tooth is emerging from a shoulder or why the baby has teeth already. If this sounds like something that is presently happening to you, you probably wonder who you should see in regards to your child's condition--a dentist/children's dental care specialist or your pediatrician?

See the Pediatrician First

First and foremost, see your baby's pediatrician. He or she can determine if these strange teeth can be removed right there in the exam room or if you will need to see a specialist. Some roaming infant dentata, such as the teeth that spring from the hard palate in the roof of your child's mouth, may also require a visit with an otolaryngologist and/or speech and language pathologist, since these teeth will affect how a child breathes, chews and talks. By visiting the pediatrician first, you not only have a record of these teeth, but you have a licensed physician providing you with practical information on who to see next and where to go.

See a Children's Dental Care Specialist Next (If the Pediatrician Cannot Help You)

Sometimes the weird teeth that erupt in an infant or child's mouth do so because there is either no room for the tooth buds, the teeth naturally erupt (really) early, and/or the teeth are impacted under the gums and the body resolves this problem by pushing them through any way it can. If the teeth are firmly planted in the child's mouth, a dentist will need to take x-rays to see if the tooth can be removed and how it will impact any future teeth. If the teeth are imbedded in a child's soft tissues or bodily organs and appear on an x-ray, your baby may need surgery to remove the strange teeth so that they do not come loose and create internal problems.

Visiting Specialists Like an Otolaryngologist or Speech Pathologist

If both your pediatrician and dentist suggest that your child see a specialist before anything else can be done about these roving and implanted teeth, then see the specialists as soon as possible. An otolaryngologist will determine if any strange teeth in the head and face will impact your child's ability to breath and speak effectively. An internist may also be of assistance if teeth are imbedded in organ tissue. A speech pathologist can help your baby overcome the obstacle of teeth in the hard palette should it be determined that the tooth needs to stay until it either falls out on its own or orthodontia can move the tooth back into its rightful position.

For more information, visit sites like